Wednesday, December 15, 2010



KUALA LUMPUR, 13 December 2010 – Tune Talk Sdn Bhd, a member of the Tune Group of Companies has entered into a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Bangkok-based King International Resource Zone Co. Ltd (KIRZ) to set up Tune Talk Thailand.

Under the MOU, Tune Talk Thailand will be incorporated as a wireless reseller and mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) for TOT Public Company Limited (TOT), the Thai government-owned telecommunications company in the Kingdom.

Tune Talk will own 49% of Tune Talk Thailand while the remaining 51% is held by KIRZ. Tune Talk Thailand is expected to be operational by mid-January 2011.

The MOU was signed by Tune Talk Chairman Dato' Sri Tony Fernandes and Julpas 'Tom' Kruesopon of KIRZ, who will assume the position Managing Director of Tune Talk Thailand. The signing was witnessed by Tune Talk CEO Jason Lo and Wichien Naksrinual, the former head of 3G division at TOT, in a ceremony held in Bangkok last week.

Fernandes said: "Asean is home to over 600 million people and this presents such a big market for us to tap from. Tune Talk Thailand is our first break towards becoming the Asean MVNO and with an MVNO arrangement in Thailand, we aim to deliver a better roaming proposition and local call rates for Tune Talk subscribers traveling within and between Malaysia and Thailand."

Meanwhile, Kruesopon said: "It is an honour to have the opportunity to work with Mr. Tony Fernandes and the entire Tune Talk family in bringing a new and exciting mobile service to the people of Thailand."

Tune Talk launched its commercial service in Malaysia in August 2009 and operates as an MVNO riding on the extensive network of Celcom Axiata Berhad. Tune Talk has since activated 1.5 million subscribers, offering the lowest flat rates for voice, messaging and data services. Tune Talk is a licensed Network Service Provider and Application Service Provider with Numbering Block sanctioned by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).

KIRZ, established in 1995, is a commercial internet service provider in Thailand having its core connectivity of Internet International Gateway (IIG) and National Internet Exchange (NIX) provided through fiber optic, metro ethernet and pre-Wimax transmissions.

- ENDS -

About Tune Talk Sdn Bhd:
Tune Talk Sdn Bhd has become the fastest growing mobile operator in the country having officially launched its commercial service on 19 August 2009. Tune Talk operates as a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) riding on the extensive network of Celcom Axiata Berhad. Tune Talk targets to serve the underserved segment of the market with super low calling rates and exciting incentives. Rolled out as a prepaid service with the prefix "010", Tune Talk offers no-frills voice, short messaging service (SMS) and data services that meet the consumer’s demand for a simple, value-for-money product with easy accessibility and widest distribution reach. Visit for more information.

No comments: